This year, Chapel Arts seventh annual short story competition is open to everyone resident in the UK.
This year’s title is Isolation.
Winners in each of three age categories will receive prizes as follows:
- Year groups 3-6: £50 / Runner-up: £25
- Year groups 7-11: £75 / Runner-up: £25
- Adult (year group 11+) first place: £100
- Adult (year group 11+) second place: £50
- Adult (year group 11+) third place: £25
Here are the competition rules:
- Your story, ‘Isolation’, must be in English. It can be any length up to 1000 words but no longer.
- The story must be your own unaided work.
- It must not have been published, including privately on a website, and must not have been submitted to any other competition.
- Entry is free for Year Groups 3-6, £3 for Year Groups 7-11, £5 for adults (above Year Group 11). Payment should be by cheque for postal entries or by electronic transfer (bacs) (see 10, below).
- If you wish to pay by bank transfer please email firstname.lastname@example.org for the bank details and use your initial and surname as the reference when paying.
- The deadline for submissions is 11.59 p.m. on 14th February 2022.
- Your story should be typed (1.5 or double line spacing) and either printed on white A4 paper, single-sided, or attached to an email as a Word document.
- Do NOT put your name or any contact details on your manuscript. Those details (name, address, e-mail, phone number) should be given in a covering letter accompanying the manuscript for postal entries, or in the email to which your story is attached. If you are paying by bank transfer your letter or your email should also quote your bank transfer reference (see 5).
- The letter or email should also tell us to which of the three age categories you belong. If you’re at school (Year Groups 3-11), please say which Year you are in and how old you are.
- For postal entries, the manuscript and letter should be sent to: CA Creative Writing Competition, 94 Horse Fair Avenue, Chapel-en-le-Frith, High Peak, SK23 9SF, accompanied by a cheque for the submission fee or bank transfer reference (see 5) if appropriate. Cheques should be made payable to Chapel Arts.
- Email entries should be sent to email@example.com.
- The receiver will put a code number on the letter (or covering email) and the manuscript before sending the manuscript to the judges. When the adjudication is finished the judges will tell the receiver the code numbers of the winning entries. The receiver will then use the number to identify the successful authors, who will then be informed and receive their prizes.
- Once submitted, an entry cannot be altered or amended.
- Entries will not be returned.
- Winning entries will be posted on the Chapel Arts website unless the author withholds permission for such publication.
- Entry is deemed to indicate acceptance of these rules. Entries that break any competition rule may be disqualified. Fees will not be returned.
- Copyright will remain with the author.
- Judging will be completed and winners notified before 30th April 2022.
- The judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
If you have any queries about the competition, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org